Hi all! I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather Richmond is having right now… I’m propped up on the sofa with the front windows wide open- the breeze is incredible!
Anyway, so since Ben is an accountant, wintertime means he works pretty long hours. Which means that I usually come up with a winter to-do list of fun home projects! And since winter is almost (maybe already?) over, it’s time to share what I’ve done!
First on my winter to do list was my dresser.
We actually got my dresser as a temporary piece from Goodwill when we first got married. It was supposed to be something we used for a hot second and got rid of when we moved 3 months later. 3 years later, it still houses my threads.
So, since it’s still functioning nicely for us (and since we don’t want to spend money on a bedroom set until we actually buy a home) I thought it needed an upgrade. My ‘inspiration’ for the dressing up was this sweet little ring my sister, Lauren, got me for Christmas:
I love the brushed gold and aqua color combination! Fresh, no? So on to the dressing up:
This is actually not an accurate ‘before’ picture. The dresser really started out as a medium-brown stained piece that we quickly (and very sloppily) threw some off-white paint on back in ’09, you know, since it was temporary. But this is what it looked like in January, before I began the dressing up process-mess and all. (Actually this is about 3 steps into the process… I totally forgot to take a before picture.)
First, I removed all the hardware:
Next, Ben and I pried off the a-bit-too-country-for-my-style wooden details:
and we were left with a more streamlined, modern silhouette:
Then I spent several (very chilly!) hours on the patio sanding that bad girl down. (Benny actually had to help some with this part at the very end; my arm ended up vibrating of its own accord at one point…)
So after we got my little she-dresser stripped nekked, I carefully applied 3 smooth and even coats of primer (I used Zinssler’s Smart Prime so that I could paint inside since it was winter and the temps were too low to paint outside.) This is what she looked like this after 1 coat: